Dukan Diet Attack Phase Recipes – Meringues à la Dukan
Meringues are a great way to allow yourself a sweet snack or to make your dessert that little bit extra special and as they are basically egg white and sweetener you can enjoy this treat totally guilt free. They are easy to make too!
Rhubarb is a food which is tolerated in the Cruise Phase of the diet. You can eat up to 100 grams sweetened with sweetener on a Pure Protein (PP) Day and are allowed unlimited amounts on Protein and Vegetable (PV) day. I would personally recommend that you try to eat this fruit, which is botanically actually a vegetable, whenever you can on a PP day because of the fiber and nutritional benefits it provides. This means that on PP days I can make myself a Rhubarb Sundae by putting layers of rhubarb, sweetened yogurt and crumbled meringue in a sundae glass and enjoy.
Meringues à la Dukan
- 4 egg whites (Allowed to come to room temperature if necessary)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 1 cup of zero calories sugar substitute
- Put the egg whites in a clean, dry, grease-free bowl with the cream of tartar and whisk until the egg whites form soft peaks that hold their shape.
- Add the sweetener one tablespoon at a time.
- When all the sweetener has been added, continue whisking until the egg whites become glossy and form stiff peaks that hold their shape.
- Using a piping bag with a large star nozzle pipe your meringue on to parchment paper placed on a baking sheet.
- Place in a preheated cool oven at 250°F, 130°C or Gas Mark 1/2 for 30 minutes when the meringues should be crisp and dry.
- Turn the oven off and allow the meringues to cool in the oven for a further 30 minutes.
- When completely cool, store in an air tight container until needed, for up to seven days.