Attack Recipe: Dukan Egg Drop Soup
If you are looking for comfort food in the Attack Phase or on a PP day in Cruise this soup really hits the mark. It is just the type of food to eat on a chilly day in February! The great thing about Attack Phase recipes is that you can have them on any day of the Dukan Diet. This is also a food that I turn to when I am looking to even out some of the excesses of other meals.
There is an official Dukan recipe for Egg Drop Soup on Facebook that for a reason or reasons unknown to me has you cooking the egg into an omelette and shredding it before adding it to the soup. It does seem to be a strange adaptation of the recipe as rather than adding uncooked egg to the soup you first have to go to the trouble of cooking an omelette. Wikipedia perfectly describes Egg Drop Soup which is also known as Egg Flower Soup as being a “Chinese soup of wispy beaten eggs in boiled chicken broth“, It is not a Chinese soup of chopped up omelette in boiled chicken broth.
My recipe uses ginger and garlic as well as freshly ground black pepper to add a little more zing to the broth. What you add really comes down to personal taste, you could try adding some Five Spice, the Chinese spice mix that contains Star Anise, cloves, Chinese cinnamon, Sichuan pepper and fennel seeds or if you like a lot more zing you could add some chilli.
Other additions for the soup include chopped cooked chicken, tofu, scallions (Spring onions) or chives. If you are having the soup on a PV day you could also add a few beansprouts or dried seaweed.
Dukan Egg Drop Soup
Ingredients (1 serving)
- 1 1/2 cups of low salt Chicken Broth
- 2 beaten Eggs
- 1 pinch of Ginger powder
- 1 pinch of Garlic powder
- Freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- 3 or 4 finely sliced Scallions (Spring Onions)
- Add the garlic and ginger to the chicken broth and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the beaten eggs slowly while stirring the broth to produce the ribbons of eggs.
- Keep a teaspoon of the scallion/spring onion to one side and add the rest to the soup.
- The soup is now ready to serve garnished with a few turns of freshly ground mix pepper and the scallion/spring onions that were put to one side.
If you are looking to reduce your whole egg consumption you could add just egg whites or a combination of one egg and a couple of egg whites.