Dukan Diet Attack Phase Recipe – Salmon in “Wasabi” Sauce
This recipe continues the Japanese theme in my last few recipes as it uses wasabi paste in the sauce. It uses no vegetables or tolerated items so it can be enjoyed on any day of the two weight loss phases of the Dukan Diet (Attack and Cruise).
Whilst you may be familiar with the use of wasabi as a condiment to accompany sushi and sashimi, what you might not know is that the wasabi that you may have been served might well have contained very little or no genuine wasabi at all. “Western wasabi” is made from a mixture of horseradish, mustard and green food coloring that may or may not have also contained a small amount of powdered wasabi. Powdered wasabi is a very different ingredient to fresh wasabi as the volatile compounds that make wasabi so unique are lost in the processing.
Genuine wasabi (Wasabia japonica) is highly sought after with demand constantly outpacing supply. It has a strong, hot, herbal plant-like taste which does not linger on the tongue. It should not be harsh and it shouldn’t burn.
I’m quite happy to use “Western wasabi” but if you want to buy genuine wasabi you cannot rely on how the product describes itself on the packaging, you have to check the ingredients. To give you a couple of example where I taken the details from Amazon.com a product said to be prepared wasabi in a tube actually contained horseradish, lactose (milk), rice bran oil, sorbitol, salt, water, natural flavor, turmeric, xanthan gum, citric acid, artificial color (FD & C Yellow #5, FD & C Blue #1) and another product said to be wasabi powder contained horseradish, mustard, and wasabi.
Because the wasabi products vary so much you may need to adjust the quantity used in the sauce to take into account the strength of the product and your personal preference.
Salmon in “Wasabi” Sauce
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 pieces of salmon fillet
- 4 teaspoons of rapeseed oil
- 4 scallions/spring onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 small bunch of fresh cilantro/coriander
- 4 tablespoons of fat free Greek yogurt
- 6 tablespoons of lemon juice sweetened to taste with sweetener
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of “wasabi” paste
- Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Wash and chop the cilantro/coriander, keeping back a few leaves to garnish the finished dish
- Wash the scallions/spring onions and finely slice.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and fry the salmon at a medium heat on each side for approximately 5 minutes.
- Mix the yogurt in a bowl with two tablespoon of sweetened lemon juice until smooth .
- Add garlic and spring onions to the salmon and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Remove the salmon from the pan and keep warm on a serving dish
- Add the remaining sweetened lemon juice and allow to cool slightly before stirring in the yogurt.
- Add the wasabi paste and allow to dissolve in the sauce before stirring in the chopped cilantro/coriander.
- Pour the sauce over the salmon fillets and garnish before serving.