Dukan Diet Recipe: Calamari Tomato and Fennel Stew
This is going to be the final calamari/squid recipe that I’ll be posting, at least for a while anyway!
This recipe uses the calamari in a stew, showing another way to cook this low fat, high protein food.
In the other recipes I’ve posted that are listed below the squid has been grilled or steamed the calamari and I hope that the recipes I’ve given have helped to demonstrate the versatility of this food.
You either have to cook squid very quickly or for a long time to ensure it isn’t tough to eat. This recipe is one where you cook the squid for a fairly long time.
The tomatoes and fennel mean that this is a recipe only suitable for PV days in the Cruise and Consolidation Phases.
Calamari Tomato and Fennel Stew
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 pounds of Calamari Rings
- 1 chopped Fennel Bulb
- 2 sliced Red Onions
- 500 g of fresh peeled Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 x 400g (14 oz) cans of Crushed/Chopped Tomatoes
- 250ml or 1 cup of Chicken Stock
- 4 teaspoons of Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons of chopped Parsley
- 1 tablespoon of Paprika
- 4 chopped cloves of Garlic
- Sea Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- Fry the onion and fennel in a large pan over a medium-high heat for about 5 minutes and they start to brown
- Add the garlic, chicken stock and tinned tomatoes and mix together.
- Increase the heat to high and continue stirring until the volume is reduced by half.
- Add the fresh peeled tomatoes and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Stir in the calamari and simmer for at least 1 hour and keep cooking until the calamari is tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and then stir in the chopped parsley and serve.