Dukan Diet Recipe: H & V’s Perfected Baked Egg Custard
This recipe come to you courtesy of Harold and Vicki who emailed me to let me know that they had perfected a baked custard without cornstarch (corn flour) or custard powder. The fact that the recipe doesn’t use any tolerated items of course means that it is a recipe that can be used on any day in any phase of the Dukan Diet. It is particularly useful for the Attack Phase when treated like this help to keep you motivated but it is also useful for Dukan Thursday in Stabilisation when you need to follow a more restrictive PP day. It is also a great entertaining recipe as it can be made in advance.
H & V’s Perfected Baked Egg Custard
Ingredients (Serves 10)
- 6 cups of skim/skimmed milk
- 4 tablespoons of Splenda
- 5 whole eggs
- 5 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Pre-heat oven to 140 degrees Celsius (275 degrees Fahrenheit or Gas Mark 1)
- Scald the milk till just below boiling. be careful not to burn – stir to make sure milk isn’t sticking to bottom of pot.
- Stir in Splenda and salt till dissolved.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs till completely blended.
- Add vanilla and almond extract.
- Slowly add hot milk while beating continuously.
- Pour into 10 ramekins.
- Put into pans large enough to hold all – or 2 pans.
- Pour boiling water to mid-level of ramekins.
- Bake for 1 hour or until custards are firm around the edges and just a little soft in the centers.
- Cool and refrigerate.