Dukan Diet Recipe: Simple Tomato Sauce
This is a recipe only suitable for PV days in the Cruise Phase due to the amount of tomatoes used. It is very versatile apart from serving as a sauce to accompany other food and can be used in a large number of dishes. It can also be a very useful way of using up over ripe tomatoes which are too soft to use in salads.
Simple Tomato Sauce
- 1 finely diced medium onion
- 6 to 8 fresh tomatoes skinned and chopped or 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 finely diced clove of garlic
- Optional 1 teaspoon of olive or rapeseed oil
- Seasoning to taste
- The use of the oil is optional as Dr Dukan has only recently allowed the use of one teaspoon of olive or rapeseed oil each day on his diet. If you are not intending to use your daily allowance for another meal you can use the teaspoon of oil to fry the onion and garlic until soft. If you have no allowance left or prefer not to use oil you can dry fry the onion and garlic instead using a little water if needed to stop the food burning.
- Add the tomatoes and continue cooking at a simmer for 15 minutes.
You now have your basic tomato sauce to which you can add the herbs and seasoning of your choice. It will be a fairly coarse texture but you can use a hand blender to make a smoother sauce. You can also add sweetener to make your own tomato ketchup. If you want a thicker consistency you may need to drain off some liquid.
It can form the basis of a soup, or you can add ground/minced beef to make a bolognese. You could also serve it poured over turkey meatballs or fish or as a base for a chicken curry.