Dukan Diet: Making Your Own Yogurt
I’ve been toying with the idea of making my own yogurt off and on for sometime, so I thought it might be a topic that would interest others, as yogurt is a food that is eaten a lot on the Dukan diet and making your own yogurt has lots of plus points.
- You know exactly what you and your family are eating – there is no added water, starches, sugars and so on.
- It is better for the planet – you use reusable containers.
- It is cheaper than store bought yogurt, but you do need to recoup the cost of the equipment.
- However it is not as convenient as buying store bought yogurt.
Making Your Own Yogurt without a Yogurt Maker
You don’t necessarily need to buy a yogurt maker to make your own yogurts as it may be possible to use items you may already have. In my research I found several videos on YouTube which show how this can be done but these were more complicated than I would have liked. But I was really tempted by the next way I found of making your own yogurt.
Making Your Own Yogurt with an Easiyo Yogurt Maker
The Easiyo Yogurt Maker gives you a very simple method of making your own yogurts at home which appears to be fool proof and as long as you can boil water by another method it doesn’t even need electricity. I found another video which shows how easy this method is.
This way of making your own yogurt would be very useful for someone without a lot of refrigerator space for milk or yogurt or who might not be able to make regular trips to the grocery store as you would just buy a supply of the sachets and make your yogurt up as needed. It also means that you would have a ready supply of fresh yogurt.
There are a variety of different sachets that you can buy to make different yogurts and there is one which is suitable to use on the Dukan Diet. EasiYo Slimmers is a plain yogurt that contains less than 0.5g fat per 200g serving.
Making Your Own Yogurt with an Electric Yogurt Maker
There are two types of electric yogurt makers – ones which make the yogurt in a big container and ones which make the yogurt in lots of smaller containers. With these types of yogurt maker you:
- Heat the milk.
- Allow it to cool to the right temperature.
- Mix in your starter culture or a small pot of live plain yogurt which could be from a previous batch.
- Place this mixture in the container or containers.
- Put the containers in the yogurt maker for the required length of time.
- Chill and serve!
Once you’ve made your own yogurt you can of course turns this into fromage frais by straining whey from the yogurt using a piece of muslin or cheesecloth or using a specially designed strainer.