Boosting Your Metabolism with the Dukan Diet
If you are like me you’ve probably signed up to be emailed with updates from different sites that interest you. One of the sites that emails me is www.webmd.com and I noticed an article titled Tips to Turn Up the Heat on Metabolism
On watching the slideshow I realized that every one of the tips had an application or relevance to the Dukan Diet. They rightly identify how every slimmer wants to boost their metabolism but go on to explain that the speed of our metabolism depends on many things:
- our age – after 40 the metabolism steadily slows down
- our gender – men tend to have a higher metabolic rate
- our genes – faster or slower metabolic rates can be inherited
So what top ten tips did they come up with:
- To build more muscle – A pound of fat uses just 2 calories a day to maintain itself whereas a pound of muscle needs about 6 calories which is three times more. Dr Dukan doesn’t advocate a rigorous exercise schedule but walking briskly is a great exercise that will help build and tone your muscles.
- To take aerobic exercise – It delivers an increase in your metabolic rate long after the exercise has finished. The more intense the work out the longer this increase continues so you can see that the faster you walk the better it is.
- Drink plenty of water – Just being slightly dehydrated can slow your metabolism as our bodies need water to process calories. Dr Dukan advises for followers of his diet to drink between 1 1/2 to 2 liters of water per day.
- Have Ice-cold drinks – Drinking five or six glasses of iced water can burn an extra 10 calories a day. It isn’t a lot but every calories saved counts, done every day you lose a pound of weight in a year without reducing the amount you eat or drink!
- Eat often – This isn’t the same as eating more – going long periods between eating slows down your metabolism so having a small meal or snack every three to four hours stops this slow down. Research has also shown that those who eat more often usually eat less. This can easily be achieved on the Dukan Diet as you are allowed to eat as much as you want of certain foods
- Spice it up! – Certain spices such as chili peppers, ginger and black pepper contain chemicals which influence our metabolic rate turning it up. Research has also shown that spicy food can act as an appetite suppressant. All spices can be added freely to food in all stages of the Dukan Diet.
- Eat more lean protein – This is something which all followers of the Dukan Diet will easily be able to achieve. Protein takes more energy to digest than fat or carbohydrates so you can save calories without reducing the calories that you eat!
- Drink black coffee – drunk in small amounts coffee can provide increased energy and concentration and provide a temporary uplift to your metabolic rate
- Drink green tea or oolong tea – These teas contain catechins and caffieine known metabolism boosters. Research has shown a short term 17% increase in metabolic rate from drinking between 2 to 4 cups of these teas.
- Don’t overdo cutting the calories – Eating less than 1,000 calories a day helps you lose weight but you lose more muscle than fat so you end up with a body that burns fewer calories which doesn’t help you keep the weight off.