Dukan Diet: Dukan Protein Thursdays Explained
I was flicking through my copy of the latest UK Dukan Diet book “The Dukan Diet Life Plan” when I thought I’d noticed that Dr Dukan had changed the rules of “Dukan Thursdays”. I then checked my copy of “The Dukan Diet” and found that Dr Dukan hadn’t changed his rules it was me who hadn’t read the book properly!
I’ve now read both books again more carefully and have found that Dukan Thursdays in the Consolidation Phase are different from Dukan Thursdays in the Stabilisation Phase. I’d assumed that they were both the same and hadn’t bothered to check.
Dukan Thursdays in Consolidation
On these days you eat only “pure protein” foods using the list of 72 foods that you used in the first two phases of the diet – Attack and Cruise and you have no tolerated items but can eat and drink the other allowed food items. As Dr Dukan explains he has included this day “….by way of security,one full day of the pure protein diet that you’ve already tried and tested.”
Dukan Thursdays in Stabilisation
The rules for Dukan Thursdays in Stabilisation have some very important differences which Dr Dukan has added because the Dukan Thursday in Stabilisation is the only real restriction that you have to make up for the sweets and treats that you allow yourself on the other six days of the week. So what are these differences
- Some of the 72 “pure protein” foods are off the menu. These are the ones with high fat content and include all offal, sirloin steak, veal chops, quail’s eggs, the fattier bits of chicken like the thighs, wings and Parson’s nose and oily fish such as mackerel, sardines, and salmon.
- Look to keep the carbohydrates in your dairy products as low as you can. Some of the zero fat products have added milk protein which increases the carbohydrate level of these foods.
- Cook these foods to eliminate the maximum amount of fat. Broiling/grilling, braising or roasting are all OK and remember well cooked beef or steak has less fat content.
- Your water intake needs to be at least 2 liters to allow your body to flush out your system.
- Salt and mustard should be avoided to allow the water you are drinking to pass quickly through your system.
- Dr Dukan relaxes his total avoidance of protein powders to allow their occasional use provided they are at least 95% protein.
If you have been particularly over indulgent in the week before try to steer towards foods that will restrict your calorie intake such as white fish and egg whites.