Treating Constipation on the Dukan Diet
Constipation is one of the most common side effects of following the Dukan Diet and as the diet relies heavily on low fat high protein foods particularly in the Attack Phase this should really come as no surprise particularly to anyone who is prone to this condition.
But what steps can you take to get your digestive system moving again.
In the Attack Phase
- Double the amount of oat bran that you are eating each day to three tablespoons.
- Add a tablespoon of wheat bran as wheat bran has a different composition to oat bran. It is high in insoluble fiber.
- Drink a glass of ice cold water first thing in the morning and then have a hot drink. The ice cold drink is an official Dukan Diet recommendation, the addition of the hot drink is mine. I think the alternating temperature helps but this is not based on anything other than my own experiences.
- Make sure you are drinking 2 liters of fluids per day.
- Eat a tablespoon of goji berries each day.
- Avoid carbonated drinks as this cause bloating and gas.
- Have 200 g of stewed rhubarb, this is allowed in Attack to treat constipation.
- Do some sets of ten of abdominal crunches.
- If none of these tips help ask your pharmist or doctor for a mild laxative.
In the Cruise Phase
In additon to all of the above
- Make sure that you are eating plenty of green vegetables on PV days
- Increase to two tablespoons of goji berries on PV days.
- Count your stewed rhubarb as a tolerated item to help with weight loss.
- Have one teaspoon of linseeds/flaxseeds per day but avoid if your weight loss plateaus.
- Again if none of these tips help ask your pharmist or doctor for a mild laxative.