Ten Tips to Beat Sugar Cravings on the Dukan Diet
Before I explain how you can help overcome your craving for sugar I thought it might be a good idea to explain why you have these cravings in the first place.
- Wanting to eat sweet things is what comes naturally and is in our genes as the first taste we all prefer from birth is for sweet things.
- Sugar is a form of carbohydrate and carbohydrates cause the release of serotonin a feel good brain chemical.
- Eating sugar also releases calming and relaxing endorphins that provide a natural “high”.
- Last but not least sweet things tastes good and because of this we use them as a way of rewarding ourselves.
- However sugar cravings can also be caused by a hormonal imbalance or a medical condition such as diabetes or by stress. It is therefore very important to seek the advice of your doctor if you start to suffer from sudden and unexplainable cravings.
Ten Tips that can help overcome sugar cravings
- Chew sugar free gum.
- Eat a few goji berries.
- Eat a sugar free jello.
- Eat a fat free yogurt – this contains a small amount of naturally occurring sugar.
- Have a Low Carb Creamy Hot Chocolate (but not too often!) or other sweet treat such as an oat bran muffin.
- On a PV day eat a few tomatoes or on a PP day eat a hard boiled egg.
- Eat regularly every 3 to 5 hours as this helps keep your blood sugar levels stable.
- Go for a walk and see if the craving disappears.
- Drink a glass of water and make sure you are drinking enough water each day. Being dehydrated can also cause sugar cravings.
- Don’t shop on an empty stomach as you will find it very difficult to control your cravings with all that food around!
Dr Dukan has also just started to promote his own supplement to help overcome sugar carvings which he calls Sugaro. It has four active ingredients.
- Gymnema sylvestris extract – reduces cravings
- Griffonia extract – helps lift your mood
- Chrome – regulates blood sugar
- Magnesium – improves stress tolerances
You can buy this in the shop at www.dukandiet.co.uk or you can look for similar supplements elsewhere.